> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.good...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Just a few questions on my Tomcat Configuration
>
> Tomcat version is 6.0.18.

Good.

> My /conf directory is the standard windows installation directory
> structure it contains no other sud-directories, just my config files.

Tomcat will create the subdirectories as needed, such as when you deploy a .war
file that has an context.xml file in its META-INF directory.  It won't create
them until needed.

> If I modify the directory and add the recomended structure,
> will Tomcat pick it up

Yes; it's all Java, so it doesn't care what the platform is.

> also there is a way in Tomcat to do a contextual reload of the
> xml files automatically as soon as they change

Depends on which .xml files you're talking about.  For WEB-INF/web.xml, that's
controlled by a <WatchedResource> element nested inside a <Context> element.
That's enabled by default for all webapps, since it appears in the global
conf/context.xml file.  You can add other <WatchedResource> elements to the
global or individual webapp <Context> elements to monitor changes in other
files, if desired.  You can also set the reloadable attribute for any <Context>
to have Tomcat watch for changes to the webapp classes and jars.  Note that
none of the monitoring mechanisms should be used in production, due to the
overhead incurred.  Doc for <Context>:

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.