The previously send log files show, that those .png requests are not
forwarded to Tomcat. So what is actually answering them? Apache web
server directly? Did you put them into the DocumentRoot? That should be
much faster, than what you see.

Andre - Websphere has a component which helps you setup the AJP connector and it spat out this line for my virtual host definition...

Alias /WebApp_ID/ "/etc/local/WebSphere/repository/default/MyOwnBriefcase-0.0.1/1244286355278/MyOwnBriefcase-0.0.1-12.war/

Any problem with that? What we were planning on doing was once we got these performance issues resolved, we would move all of the static content from out of the app war into our public_html directory thats listed as the document root.

Jason