Anthony J. Biacco:

> The only thing that makes me question this, is that if I query the
> servlet directly on port 8080 instead of through mod_jk/ajp, it
> doesn't get chunked. Well, I don’t get a transfer-encoding header I
> should say. But I don’t get a content length through there either.

And which HTTP version is used?

> But according to the CDN, without a content-length
> header, the caching won't happen. I wonder if I downgrade the
> connection to http 1.0 if it applies to every hop? The way the CDN
> works is that, a request is made to it by the client, if it has it in
> its cache, it serves it to the client, if not, it requests the file
> from the origin server (my web server), I'm assuming by some proxy
> mechanism. So if I downgrade to 1.0, will that apply to the
> connection from the client to the CDN, the CDN to me, or both?

I don't know. But you could use a network sniffer and check.

> I tested with a >8K jsp and did get it chunked. Do you happen to know
> the parameter for changing the buffer size? Perhaps I can increase it
> to a number representing the largest length of my servlet content.
> Which isn't too big, maybe 20K.

You could try
javax.servlet.ServletResponse#setBufferSize
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/javax/servlet/ServletResponse.html#setBufferSize%28int%29

There may be even a configuration parameter to change Tomcat's default
buffer size globally. But I don't know if there really is one and if so,
which (and I'm too lazy too check atm).

--
Regards
  mks