Rainer Jung:

> On 12.06.2009 10:43, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> No, it's not strange at all. If the length of the response body is not
>> known when the response headers are sent, you obviously can't add a
>> Content-Length header. That has nothing to do with the HTTP version used.
>
> ... true, but an HTTP/1.0 client can also just read until the connection
> is closed. That's another way of handling content of unknown length.

Yes, that's exactly what I was pointing at.
IOW, using HTTP/1.0 doesn't magically add a Content-Length header (as
the OP seems to have expected) in situations where the size of the
response body isn't known beforehand. The difference between HTTP/1.1
and HTTP/1.0 wrt this situation is simply what has to be done to enable
the client to know about the end of transmission. While 1.1 will need to
transfer the body chunked (at least with keep-alive), 1.0 doesn't know
nor care about chunked because the server will close the underlying TCP
connection when the response is completely sent.

--
Regards
  mks