> BTW: IIRC, the OP mentioned mod_deflate compression. It comes last in
> the response handling. I'm not totally sure, how mod_deflate changes
> the
> headers (whether content-length is for the uncompressed or compressed
> size), but I expect mod_deflate to also change content of fixed length
> to chunked encoding, because in general (not small content) it does
not
> know the final length in advance. mod_deflate streams, i.e. it doesn't
> first read the full response and then compresses.

Yes, I am using mod_deflate. It doesn't set the content-length to the
length of the compressed content. In my 12K reponse (original content
size), it compresses it to 3K, and even though it's not large enough
that it should be chunked, it STILL chunks it. It's like it's keeping
the chunking going from the original content size, and even though the
compressed size is so small it doesn't need to be chunked anymore, still
does it.

COMPRESSED (3K) apache->tomcat
Date                    Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:03:45 GMT
Server          Apache
Cache-Control   max-age=300, must-revalidate
Expires         Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:08:45 GMT
Vary                    Accept-Encoding
Content-Encoding        gzip
Connection              close
Transfer-Encoding       chunked
Content-Type    text/javascript
Content-Language        en

NOT-COMPRESSED (12K) apache->tomcat
Date                    Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:06:12 GMT
Server          Apache
Cache-Control   max-age=300, must-revalidate
Expires         Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:11:12 GMT
Connection              close
Transfer-Encoding       chunked
Content-Type    text/javascript
Content-Language        en
X-Pad                   avoid browser bug

NOT-COMPRESSED (12K) tomcat
Content-Type    text/javascript
Transfer-Encoding       chunked
Date                    Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:20:38 GMT
Server          Apache

-Tony