> From: Brad Heller [mailto:brad.hel...@gmail.com]
> Subject: bootstrap.jar hangs on startup/shutdown/restart.
>
> I was using Tomcat 6.0 but I've moved to Tomcat 5.5 as I was
> hoping my issue would be resolved be migrating.

No, you're just more likely to introduce other problems.  Stay on 6.0.

> The problem seems to be that any time I try to execute
> bootstrap.jar Tomcat does it's thing and then just...
> kind of ....hangs there.

If you're not using the supported startup scripts, then you're largely on your
own.

Does the problem exist using the proper startup.bat and shutdown.bat scripts?
If they work properly, you need to debug your procedure.

Note that failure of Tomcat to terminate is usually caused by a webapp starting
up extra threads and failing to manage them properly; the JVM will wait until
all non-daemon threads have exited before shutting down.

Take a thread dump when Tomcat is in this state and find out what's still
running.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.