> From: Brad Heller [mailto:brad.hel...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: bootstrap.jar hangs on startup/shutdown/restart.
>
> With regard to logs, it doesn't appear that I have a tomcat.log!

Look for anything in Tomcat's logs directory.

> Jun 12, 2009 10:54:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
> lifecycleEvent
> INFO: Failed shutdown of Apache Portable Runtime

That's normal when you don't have APR installed (note that it's INFO, not
WARNING or ERROR).

> doesn't appear that I have a startup.bat or a shutdown.bat.

That's because you used the .exe download, which for some inexplicable reason
doesn't include the scripts.  Get the .zip download, which contains both the
scripts and the service wrapper.

> when I run that tomcat5.exe it has the same behavior as
> outlined about -- prints similar output to what I first
> listed and then hangs.

Then it's likely your webapp creating threads and not managing them properly.
Take a thread dump, as previously suggested.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.