Thanks David, but we are stuck with Struts and EJB 2.1 at the moment.

--- On Sun, 6/14/09, David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com> wrote:

From: David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject: Re: using static helper classes within servlets
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Date: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 5:43 PM

Hey all,

If the goal is to ensure that only one instance is in the webapp, I'd recommend
the new EJB 3.1 bean type @Singleton which is supported in OpenEJB 3.1 and
3.1.1.

  http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/singleton-example.html
  http://openejb.apache.org/singleton-ejb.html

Instantiation can be done at startup or lazily.  All method access
synchronization is handled for you via @ConcurrencyManagement(CONTAINER) or by
you @ConcurrencyManagement(BEAN).  Regardless of that choice we will still
handle sychronization of instantiation, so double-check-locking or other things
will not be necessary.

-David