> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: [OT] using static helper classes within servlets
>
> NB: DCL does not work in Java. Period.

While that statement was true for 1.4 and prior JVMs, 1.5 actually made DCL
work.

> http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/java/memoryModel/DoubleCheckedLocking.html

Note that the majority of the above was written prior to the development of JSR
133, let alone its implementation; my reading of JSR 133 indicates that the
volatile keyword is no longer required, due to the requirement of flushing any
internally cached values at the entrance to a synchronized block.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.