we are running a cluster of 3 nodes. we are on linux . we run tomcat 5.5.15
and do not use the server.conf clustering . we cluster tomcat with an
external load balancer.
we have tried using a context file like the example below in order to serve
webapps from the shared drive and have experienced the following differences
when compared to using locally attached storage for webapps:

Symptoms:

   1. On a startup with a new war file positioned in the root directory for
   the webapp the war file does not unpack. ./manager/list shows the app
   running but it wont serve anything because war file never expanded.
   2. in 'manager app' , using the GUI request 'reload' and the war file
   does not unpack
   3. in 'manager app' , using the GUI request 'undeploy' and the root
   directory does not get deleted . the only thing that happens is the context
   file from ./TomcatRoot/conf/Catalina/localhost is deleted.

when we put the $myapp.war file in the root directory , the war file does
not expand or unpack on a tomcat startup. ./Manager/list shows that 'myapp'
is 'running' but only the war file exists in the directoy. until we run an
explicit 'jar -xf $myapp.jar' no unpacking occurs. Only with the explicit
command do we get the result that we expect - unpacked war file is the
result.

Tomcat process runs under a user id that should have 'exec' permissions in
the directory where the war file is.  The context for the webapp includes a
'background-processor-thread' .

Im trying to figure out whether it is more trouble to do multiple deploys of
the war file to each node in the cluster or whether we can have a reliable
procedure redeploying war files to a shared drive running on NFS..

--- context file for the webapp:

<Context path="/test" docBase="/mnt/nas1data/www/test" override="true"
backgroundProcessorDelay="10" />

--
Real Time Matrix Corp.
1900 Addison St., Suite 100

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential,
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or any employee or agent responsible for delivering this
us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Thank you. Real Time Matrix.