Mukerjee, Neiloy (Neil) wrote:
I have found a file called tomcat5.5 in /etc/init.d/ which has the start-up script for Tomcat 5. Would I simply make a copy of this called tomcat6 and adjust the file to my specifics, or is there an easier way to do this? The text of the file is attached, if it is of any help, but from reading through it, it seems that most of it is for Tomcat in general and not the specific version, so I think simply editing it should work. I am not that familiar with such files, though - can anyone confirm/deny my guess?
Personally and subjectively :
I believe you have to choose : either you install the Tomcat6 Ubuntu package, along with it's scripts (including /etc/init.d/tomcat6), OR you install a Tomcat from the official site @ tomcat.apache.org, and create your own /etc/init.d startup script.
But I would not recommend mixing.
The Ubuntu script that you attached makes a lot of assumptions about where things are, according to the Ubuntu packaging method. The various files and directories and other settings stuff that it refers to, will not be there for an "official" Tomcat, so I think you would spend a lot of time adapting that script. (For instance, the tomcat5.5 script you show, uses the jsvc wrapper to run Tomcat. That is not how the official Tomcat starts, and I'm not sure how much you'd need to change to make it run easily.)

My recommandation, if you are going to be using this same Ubuntu system for a while, would be to use the Ubuntu Tomcat6 package. You will just have to get used to where it puts things (true, all over the filesystem), but once you get that, it works like any other. And you can then use all the handy scripts and utilities that Ubuntu provides to deal with packages, updates etc..

A number of people here will disagree with me, mainly for the reason that it makes it harder for these people here to help you if you have any configuration issues later on.
But it's your choice, in the end.