> This is where my inexperience in tomcat will shine through.
>
> Scrapped all xxx.test.com sub-d's and went with test.com/[company id]
> as the
> way to go.  It prevented me from having to edit the server.xml file and
> restart tomcat each and everytime that a company is added / subtracted.
> You
> are correct, the app  [except database access (each co. get's it's own
> schema, and it's own file storage directory) and a few files
> (context.xml
> and web.xml)] is the exact same for everyone.

This is really not necessary. We use the Tomcat Host Manager Application,
along with our own custom scripts to deploy new virtual hosts and remove
virtual hosts. It's pretty easy. The advantage of doing that is you can
create aliases within the customer's domain. I.E.

appName.customerdomain.com

The only thing about doing it this way is you have to create your own
startup script that will generate a server.xml on the fly. IOW, when you
start Tomcat, go through and figure out all of the virtual host names, and
generate the entries in the server.xml before calling catalina.sh/bat.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc. - Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585