Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
>> Subject: Re: Seeking authoritative answer re using Log4J with v6
>>
>> It looks very much like your build environment is broken.
>
> I just duplicated Jonathan's findings on my Vista box.  There are several
> things broken, but the build environment doesn't appear to be one of them.
>
> 1) The extras.xml script places Log4JLogger.class in
> tomcat-juli-adapters.jar, but not tomcat-juli.jar, thus preventing Tomcat
> from using log4j internally.

I haven't looked at what gets placed where, but following the instructions on
the logging page to replace j.u.l with log4j works for me. The only change I
made was to set the org.apache logger level to INFO rather than debug and I get
a log4j version of the standard Tomcat startup.

I'm testing this on a mac but I have had this working in windows in the past
too.

Are you sure you followed all of the steps on the logging page with a clean
Tomcat install? I don't understand why this is working for me but not for you.

If you follow the instructions on the logging page, modify the last line of the
log4j.properties file to:

log4j.logger.org.apache=INFO, R

What do you get in CATALINA_BASE\logs\tomcat.log when you call catalina.bat
start?

Mark