Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
>> Subject: Re: Seeking authoritative answer re using Log4J with v6
>>
>> I have checked recently (with 6.0.18) and it worked as
>> expected and documented.
>
> So why was it necessary for Suresh to place his log handler on Tomcat's
> startup classpath?

I suspect, but haven't confirmed, that this was because juli reads its
properties file on initialisation, wanted to instantiate the handler and hadn't
reached the point where the common class loader had been set up.

> Or to put it another way, how can logging initialization find log4j.jar in
> Tomcat's lib directory, but not find Suresh's custom handler in the same
> location?

Of the top of my head, no idea. Again, my suspicion is that it is related to
what gets instantiated when compared to when the common class loader is
configured.

> Jonathan's intent is to have Tomcat use log4j for all its internal logging,
> not just webapp-related logging.

Yes, I am aware of that.

Mark