On 08.07.2009 15:24, thekat wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies..
> My build environment seems to be hosed.. so fixing that at the moment..
>
> It seems that Solaris is the odd Duck out on a lot of stuff I do.. :-)
>
> I will post back my findings..
> and I will probably post a guide on
> http://www.daemonforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31
> once I get this figured out..
>
> again thank you for all the suggestions..
> tk

Nevertheless some remarks: As André already remarked, if the web server
has been compiled with a different compiler or a very different
environment than the module, it can always happen that they are not
binary compatiböle during runtime. E.g. sizes of more complex data types
could be inconsistent and thus offsets in structures imcompatible. This
could lead to a segmentation fault during runtime, even if the
initialization works right (maybe the specific data structure is not
used during init).

So you can go two ways: Finding compatible Apache web server and module
binaries, or trying to analyze (and fix) the original crash problem. The
first way is more reliable.

When looking for compatible binaries, again there are two options:

- stick with your sun provided Apache, get yourself Sun Studio (aka cc),
which is AFAIK free nowadays, and build mod_jk on the target system
yourself. That would mean instaling Sun Studio, setting up the needed
environment variables PATH etc.) and doing the configure and make for
mod_jk (also locating the correct apxs coming wwith the web server and
hoping that sun installs all needed header files that come with the web
server binary and that are needed to build additional modules).

- switch to gcc, find yourself a gcc-build Apache web server for solaris
(sunfreeware et.al.) and use the module you already have. Although even
then there is a chance it could still crash, because this doesn't only
depend on the compiler but also on the build environment, it could work.

Have fun and let us know your findings.

Regards,

Rainer