Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes. I did read the following howto document on timeout and also the mail
thread http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg28345.html
After reading the timeout howto once again, many things are becoming clear.
Thanks for such a good document.

As I was reading the timeout howto once again, one question came to my mind.
What is the difference between socket_timeout and socket_connect_timeout?
socket_timeout is used for TCP send/receive timeouts. Does
socket_connect_timeout indicate failure to establish socket connection?

One question regardig recovery. Every maintainence period it tries to recover
worker in ERR state. I see the state being changed to ERR/REC. What does it
exactly do during recovery? Are the real new requests sent to the worker in
ERR/REC state? At present, we have recorvey option, reply_timeout set to
default. ping_mode is not set. If it does try a real new request with a worker
during ERR/REC state and if request doesn't succeed then the request is sent to
a good worker?

We have mod_jk load balancer running in production. We are using load balancer
with 19 mod_jk workers. We noticed that even though 10 out of 19 tomcat workers
are in good state, some times web site is unresponsive for few minutes. Thats
why, I was wondering if somehow the requests are still being sent to 9 workers
which are in bad state. Perhaps, this is happening during the transition when a
worker goes bad but it takes time for the load balancer to detect that. This
was setup by somebody else and prepost_timeout, ping_mode, reply_timeout and
recovery_options are not set. I am hoping that after setting these timeout
values we will not see these issue. I will be setting these timeout values in
production system, so are there anythings I should be careful about?

Thanks a lot.

Madhuri