Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH) wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 July 2009 10:42:19 Neil Youngman wrote:
>> I'm having trouble getting Oracle access from Axis2 to work under
>> Tomcat 6. I've spent a lot of time Googling and prodding and poking
>> the application and I haven't found a solution that works for me.
>>
>> Oddly the configuration I'm using seems to work for another
>> application.
>>
>> Let's start with the configuration in axis2/META-INF/context.xml,
>> which is:
>>
>> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
>>
>> <Context>
>>         <Resource name="jdbc/AppDatabase"
>>                   auth="Container"
>>                   type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>                   factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
>
> You are explicitly specifying the original DBCP factory
> class "org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory" here. Is this for
> specific reason, and is the jar file available (I believe it needs to be in
> tomcat's lib dir, though I'm not sure if the resource is application
> specific)? What happens if you leave out the factory attribute?

That was copied from a working application that I mentioned previously.
Commons-dbcp-1.1.jar is in the /home/tomcat6/wsam/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/lib
directory.

If I remove the factory attribute it fails in exactly the same way.

>> Caused by: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
>> JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' at
>> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSourc
>> e.java:1150) at
>> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSourceja
>> va:880) at
>
> Obviously the packaged and renamed tomcat DBCP factory is used. Maybe a
> tomcat
> fallback if the specified factory is not found? Also might there be a
> fallback for the JDBC driver if the driver is not found?

That seems likely.

The app I currently have works under tomcat5 and I haven't written any apps
from scratch under tomcat6. Maybe if I try to create a minimal app from
scratch, I'll get a little more insight into what is actually needed.

Neil Youngman