I'm still banging my head against this particular brick wall. I've cut the
servlet down to a minimal example and tried to get as much debug out as
possible, but I've not got much in the way of clues. I've reached a point where
tracing the tomcat session with strace was the only thing I could think of that
I hadn't tried. This is the outcome

$ grep META-INF/context.xml /tmp/catalina.trace.*
/tmp/catalina.trace.3726:stat64("/home/neil/wirefast/dev/tomcat6/servlet-example/webapps/axis2/META-INF/context.xml",
 {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=343, ...}) = 0

That is interesting, because it appears to check the existence of the
axis2/META-INF/context.xml file, but, as far as can be seen from the strace
output, it never opens it. That would be consistent with the fact that I
couldn't see it being opened or processed in any of the debug output.

It's not obvious to me what part of the source would handle this. Where should
I look for documentation of the process of handling individual contexts?

Neil Youngman