Hello All,

        I'm a web developer making the jump from PHP to java.  I'm taking over
a project created by a contractor no longer employed by my division.  I've been
tasked with fixing a couple of minor issues that never got fixed before he left.

        I'm using NetBeans and tomcat 6.0.16.  I'm under the understanding that
our production server is actually running tomcat 5.5.x but I couldn't get
NetBeans to even set that as the server for the project.  When I run the
installer for tomcat everything works fine. But once I deploy the application
the home page and manager pages no longer display properly.  There are problems
with the bundled examples too.  The servlets work properly but the jsp examples
throw an AbstractMethodError:.  The NetBeans project and the server are both
set to use Java 1.6.0.7.

Here is the full text from the exception block:
avax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:274)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

Here is the stack trace from one of the examples:
java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;

org.apache.jsp.jsp.jsp2.el.basic_002darithmetic_jsp._jspInit(basic_002darithmetic_jsp.java:22)
        org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.init(HttpJspBase.java:52)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:159)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:329)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:337)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

I've tried a web search but to no affect.

Please let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.  I've looked
online and keep seeing references to CLASSPATH, but I don't think it's my
problem but I'm not sure how to tell.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom Burton

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message including any attachments, is for
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
message.