mg>see below

> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:58:54 -0800
> From: tom.bur...@alaska.gov
> Subject: newbie looking for guidance
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>
> Hello All,

I'm a web developer making the jump from PHP to java. I'm taking over a project
created by a contractor no longer employed by my division.

 I've been tasked with fixing a couple of minor issues that never got fixed
before (s)he left.
I'm using NetBeans and tomcat 6.0.16. I'm under the understanding that our
production server is actually running tomcat 5.5.x but I couldn't get NetBeans
to even set that as the server for the project. When I run the installer for
tomcat everything works fine. But once I deploy the application the home page
and manager pages no longer display properly. There are problems with the
bundled examples too. The servlets work properly but the jsp examples throw an
AbstractMethodError:. The NetBeans project and the server are both set to use
Java 1.6.0.7.

> Here is the full text from the exception block:
> avax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:274)
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
>

> Here is the stack trace from one of the examples:
> java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
> org.apache.jsp.jsp.jsp2.el.basic_002darithmetic_jsp._jspInit(basic_002darithmetic_jsp.java:22)
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.init(HttpJspBase.java:52)
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:159)
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:329)
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:337)
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
>

> I've tried a web search but to no affect.
>
> Please let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else. I've looked
> online and keep seeing references to CLASSPATH, but I don't think it's my
> problem but I'm not sure how to tell.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>

> Tom Burton
mg>place these scriptlets in the top of your jsp for your version of TC

mg>then call up the updated page in your browser
<%=application.getMajorVersion()%>.<%=application.getMinorVersion()%>

Servlet/JSP Spec
Apache Tomcat version

2.5/2.1
6.0.20

2.4/2.0
5.5.27

2.3/1.2
4.1.40

2.2/1.1
3.3.2 (archived)

download the correct Servlet/JSP spec ..reinstall ..use the manager interface
to upload all wars..gernally located in $TC_HOME/webapps

do not place any jsp*.jar or servlet*.jar in WEB-INF/lib folder

http://tomcat.apache.org/

hth

Martin