*Andre wrote:

The above is assuming that you would want all accesses which eventually go
to Tomcat, to be under SSL from the client point of view.
The idea is : SSL creates an overhead (encryption).  If the link between
Apache and Tomcat is secure (such as, they both run on the same host, or
they run on separate hosts, but both inside of your secure network), then
you do not want to have an additional overhead by encrypting/decrypting the
communications between Apache and Tomcat.*

This is true.

Next question then.  Is there a way to make just the login page (login.jsp)
go through the SSL and nothing more?