I THINK ITS POSSIBLE. But when you are fine with weblogic is there any specific
reason to use tomcat?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Royals [mailto:tomcat-mailingl...@fragstealers.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:32 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Mapping role names to groups

Hello Tomcatters,

Consider the following scenario. I have a Java web application, and it
is a packaged, commercial application I may not change it. In fact, I
don't have the source so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

The application declares two roles in web.xml - "users" and "admins". In
our corporate environment, those role names are far too generic to be
group names in our LDAP repository.  The groups in LDAP are called
SG-FooBar-Users and SG-FooBar-Admins. We expect to map these real group
names to the roles declared in the web.xml.

We have this running currently on Weblogic, and to map the roles to
groups, we have a Weblogic configuration as follows (in weblogic.xml)

<weblogic-web-app>
    <security-role-assignment>
         <role-name>users</role-name>
         <principal-name>SG-FooBar-Users</principal-name>
    </security-role-assignment>
    <security-role-assignment>
         <role-name>admins</role-name>
         <principal-name>SG-FooBar-Admins</principal-name>
    </security-role-assignment>
</weblogic-web-app>

Websphere, JBoss, Geronimo, Glassfish etc all seem to offer similar
features in their container-specific configurations.

How can I achieve the same result in Tomcat, remembering I cannot change
the application, and I cannot change the groups or the LDAP repository
(which has hundreds of thousands of users and groups)?  Is it even
possible with Tomcat?

Thanks,
Jason