André Warnier wrote:
Jason Royals wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but I think <security-role-ref> is only valid
within the context of a <servlet> element though?

I have not checked, but are you sure ? Is it not at the level of the web-app ? If so, it would apply to everything belonging to that webapp, whether filters, servlets, jsp's, whatnot.

Now I have checked..
More precisely, it seems from the Servlet Spec, that all which concerns AAA applies in fact to "URLs" and/or "methods". It seems thus definitely independent from servlets, filters, jsps etc.. Now since these constraints are defined within a context's deployment descriptor (web.xml), I would imagine that whatever URL's are specified in the security section apply within the context of that webapp.
I you get what I mean.

Note that the above is basically a personal exercise in comprehending the Servlet Spec, so it would not be bad if one of the gurus commented on this..