Hi,

I'm trying to get the JNDIRealms working using my LDAP server in Tomcat
6.0.18 for the manager and admin applications and am having difficulty
getting them to work.  I tried following instructions in the tomcat doc
site, and think I have things fairly well set up.  I have enabled full logs
on my LDAP server (slapd), and see the requests coming through.  The problem
is that neither application seems to authenticate properly.  My guess is
that I made a mistake somewhere in my LDAP tree.

I searched around and found additional documentation in Pro Apache Tomcat 6
by Matthew Moodie (apress publishing) that seems to indicate things step by
step as well.  In the book, he refers to JNDIRealm logs:

<snip>
For a further insight into the communication between Tomcat and the
directory server, examine the log for the service component.

JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Connecting to URL ldap://localhost:389
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: lookupUser(admin)
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: dn=uid=admin,ou=people,dc=mycompany,dc=com
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: retrieving attribute userPassword
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: validating credentials
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Username admin successfully authenticated
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: getRoles(uid=admin,ou=people,dc=mycompany,dc=com)
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Searching role base 'ou=groups,dc=mycompany,dc=com' for
attribute 'cn'
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: With filter expression
'(uniqueMember=uid=admin,ou=people,dc=mycompany,dc=com)'
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: retrieving values for attribute cn
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Returning 1 roles
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Found role admin
</snip>

However, try as I might, I can't seem to figure out how to enable the
logging for the JNDIRealm.

I have placed the <Realm> object definition under my <Engine>, but no matter
what I see to do, I can't get any logging to display.  I have even added the
following to logging.properties to no avail.
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].handlers =
4admin.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.level = ALL
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase = 4admin.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to how to get this
logging to be displayes so that I might be able to resolve my problem?

Thanks!

Eric