Interesting. My configuration uses the latter - by doing a bind, getting
the user object, and comparing it locally.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:n...@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Eric B.
Sent: Wednesday, 12 August 2009 7:03 a.m.
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Re: Trouble configuring LDAP authentication

news:fcff2ec7a020964fbc98b17f17a88ac4018ba...@akvxch01.tvnzad.tvnz.co.nz
> I remember the big issue I faced regarding the JNDIRealm auth were the
> parameters in my Realm definition, there was one line that once added
> Everything started working, I think it was either "referrals" or "
> "userSearch="(sAMAccountName={0})" - which I recall were both
necessary
> in my instance, or one of the "role|usersubtree" ones.
>
> I found the following link invaluable in configuring my server, it's a
> must read:
>
> http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ActiveDirectoryIntegration
>
> Regarding logging, I found this tutorial quite helpful:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Logging_Tutorial

Thanks for the links and the feedback.  Several hours of reading docs
online, source code, pulling hair and of randomly trying things, I
finally
realized that I had to enable the TRACE level of debugging at the
container
level to get the debugging out.  Unfortunately, doing that means having
put the realm defn in the actual context, or there is way too much noise

generated at a higher level.  But it did finally give me the logging
information I needed.

Finally, with some additional help, I discovered that the pwd storage
mechanism in the LDAP server didn't match what Tomcat was expecting, so
had to drop the userPassword parameter in the Realm defn, which makes
Tomcat
validate the user/pwd by trying a simple bind to the LDAP server using
the
user's username/pwd instead of retreiving the user's object and checking
the
pwd itself.

Finally, everything seems to work.  ....  Several hours later.

Thanks again,

Eric

online at tvnz.co.nz