M4N - Arjan Tijms schrieb:

I always just copy my web application statically to Tomcat's webapps
directory ("$CATALINA_BASE/webapps") for the production server
Insufficient, as Chuck has pointed out: use the manager app.

Does that, basically, mean that the static deployment method is
deprecated?

I'm getting this feeling, too. "Static deployment" does not seem to
handle META-INF/context.xml - and that looks broken.

Currently the documentation says:

If you are not interested in using the Tomcat Manager, or TCD, then
you'll need to deploy your web applications statically to Tomcat,
followed by a Tomcat startup.
See: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html

Reading this gives me the impression that I can use it. If I should
not use the static deployment mechanism, shouldn't this entry be
removed from the documentation?

It seems misleading indeed. Maybe the description of the "deployment
sequence" should amend this sentence:

| 1. Any Context Descriptors will be deployed first.

to include a warning like:

  Achtung! This will only happen if there is no Context Descriptor
  present at the target location.

--
Michael Ludwig