> From: M4N - Arjan Tijms [mailto:arjan.ti...@m4n.nl]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat copies context.xml to
> conf/Catalina/localhost/app.xml,but neverupdates it?
>
> 1. If there is a context descriptor in
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/[webappname].xml use this.
> 2. Otherwise, use the context descriptor
> $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/[webappname]/META-INF/context.xml

That is exactly how it works today.

> With the recent changes however, I'll have to mail each and every
> developer on our project to inform them they have to clear their
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ directory, or otherwise
> they will never get the change I just checked in.

Not true; the only reason it becomes an issue in your case is because you're
not doing a proper redeployment.  You cannot simply copy a new .war file into
the appBase directory and expect it to work.  If you would simply follow the
documented procedures rather than inventing your own (or relying on a poorly
implemented 3rd-party one), you would not be having a problem.

> I guess the problem would be solved if all existing Tomcat server
> connectors for every IDE (we use MyEclipse), takes this necessary
> cleaning of $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ into account.

As stated before, that's not the only thing that needs cleaning; at a minimum,
the work directory must be purged for reliable operation.  Whatever else needs
cleaning up can vary across Tomcat versions.  Again, use the published and
documented mechanisms, not your own.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.