> From: Tena Sakai [mailto:tsa...@gallo.ucsf.edu]
> Subject: RE: (newbie question) missing classs file?
>
> You know, that's what I expected as well, but it kept working.

Because the class had already been loaded into the JVM and you had not
restarted Tomcat.

> That's why I asked the question to begin with.  A fascinating
> truth is that I can execute the sample jsp (Hello.class), as
> I just did again, and there is no file in webapps/sample/WEB-
> INF/classes/mypackage directory.  None whatsoever.

Nor should there be, since that directory is reserved for servlets and their
supporting classes and the spec requires that Tomcat treat it as read-only.
Classes generated from JSPs cannot be written there.

> That makes me think maybe what you are claiming is happening
> with a different version of tomcat?  As I mentioned, mine is
> 6.0.14.  What's yours?

I'm using 6.0.20 (no point in wasting time on a superseded version), but the
level is not a factor here.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.