> From: Tena Sakai [mailto:tsa...@gallo.ucsf.edu]
> Subject: RE: (newbie question) missing classs file?
>
> I was getting confused by the fact that a class file was in
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/sample/WEB-INF/classes directory

That class file is for the servlet side of the sample app.

> and yet my modification was reflected in the output page.

Because your modification was to the JSP part, which is independent of the
servlet part.

> What I understood empirically is that there is no need for
> a class file in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/sample/WEB-INF/classes
> directory.

True for the JSP part of that sample webapp.

> If so, why should the distribution come with it?

As previously stated, it's for the servlet part.

You should read the servlet spec to get an idea of the structure of a webapp:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/mrel/jsr154/index2.html

JSPs are an add-on to the servlet spec, and they're covered by their own spec:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr245/index.html

Since the above are specs, the topics are not included in the Tomcat doc.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.