>> Clue for anyone else who comes across this: you have to switch off
>> file sharing to be able to even see the place you need to make the
>> changes - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419. FFS, MS...
>>

> Ah - you hadn't said Windows XP, so I'd assumed a server-class OS!  Yes, XP
> comes with brain-damaged "simple file sharing" turned on by default, which
> both hides and breaks the normal Windows file permissions model.

If your not running professional but home edition.
You will probably need cacls and net to perform the required operations.
cacls to change permissions and net to alter groups and users.
To take ownership, this can only easily be done through the gui (the
security tab and click away...windows style ;-))

HTH

Regards,

Serge Fonville