Hi Don,

A few questions:

1) Does server.xml reference the appropriate IP and keystore for "webui"?

2) What's the output of: [ openssl s_client -connect webui.ashland.edu:443 ] from the box, more specifically just the top area that mentions the certificate chain. It should look something like this...

---
Certificate chain
0 s:/C=US/ST=Ohio/L=Ashland/O=Ashland University/OU=Administrative IT/CN=webui.ashland.edu i:/C=ES/ST=Barcelona/L=Barcelona/O=IPS Certification Authority s.l./o=gene...@ipsca.com C.I.F. B-B62210695/OU=ipsCA CLASEA1 Certification Authority/CN=ipsCA CLASEA1 Certification Authority/emailaddress=gene...@ipsca.com 1 s:/C=ES/ST=Barcelona/L=Barcelona/O=IPS Certification Authority s.l./o=gene...@ipsca.com C.I.F. B-B62210695/OU=ipsCA CLASEA1 Certification Authority/CN=ipsCA CLASEA1 Certification Authority/emailaddress=gene...@ipsca.com i:/C=ES/ST=BARCELONA/L=BARCELONA/O=IPS Seguridad CA/OU=Certificaciones/CN=IPS SERVIDORES/emailaddress=...@mail.ips.es 2 s:/C=ES/ST=BARCELONA/L=BARCELONA/O=IPS Seguridad CA/OU=Certificaciones/CN=IPS SERVIDORES/emailaddress=...@mail.ips.es i:/C=ES/ST=BARCELONA/L=BARCELONA/O=IPS Seguridad CA/OU=Certificaciones/CN=IPS SERVIDORES/emailaddress=...@mail.ips.es
---

3) Have you stopped and started the instance in question each time you made a change to the certificates(keystore) or the server.xml file?

I don't see any issues with the way you generated the keystore, CSR or how you imported the certificates as that's how I would do it. It's pretty much the way Comodo, Verisign, Thawte, and DigiCert suggest you do so.

Without knowing what the server is presenting, it is hard for me to tell you exactly what's wrong. As per RFC2246(TLS protocol), in a chained certificate environment the server must present the full chain (just Intermediates, Root is optional.) so that all RFC compliant clients (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc), can connect easily. (Internet Explorer actually tries to go behind the scenes and grab the intermediates from WindowsUpdate) Using OpenSSL's s_client command, should open things up a bit more and provide us with good information to use.

--Sal