Has anyone really done any math to determine the risk?

Here an example of what I mean.

Say you are in a high quality co-location. The probability of an outage is
maybe once in 3 years. That's overstating the probability in my mind, but
we'll use it. Let's also say that you have a high quality clustering
solution in place in each data center that handles failover of any equipment
WITHIN the data center.

Say the average length of a user/customer session is 2 hours, and your
failover system will route any new users to a remaining data center. I think
2 hours is kind of a long session but we'll use it. Say you have two data
centers.

So, the probability of an average customer being affected by a data center
outage is:

1/( (2 hours)/24(Hours day) * 1/(3*365))/2 (Data centers)

The probability of an average customer being affected by an outage is
conservatively 1 in 26280. Expressed as a percentage, the probability of any
individual session being affected is 0.0038%.

Is your application really so big and critical that you have to address this
very small percentage chance of a session being interrupted?

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585