Hello,
You may want to take a completely different approach.
1) If your session is lightweight (no really heavy objects) you could
store everything in cookies and go completely session and stateless.
This would solve most of the problems.
2) If 1. isn't applicable - persist the session to a distributed db
and simply save the id of the session in the db in a cookie. let the
db's synchronize theirself between the data centers. Make it the
db-admin's problem :-)

I would go for 1) You can save a lot of data in the cookie: userId,
locale, encrypted auth data, form selections etc. You shouldn't save
heavyweight data, like search result with megabytes of data in
cookies, but you could save the query and simple repeat the query if
the browser changed data centers. It's all cheaper as to synchronize
tomcat instances across data centers.

In fact all you need is to write your own session implementation and a
session manager. Say 2-3 Days of work. Approx 4000 Dollar.

best regards
Leon