I noticed that you mention that you are using the community version of the
Java runtime environment which i think is what you get when you do an
apt-get.

I have never honestly been able to use this version of the JVM successfully.
I had a similar problem recently where i was running an application (That
uses Hibernate) using this version of the JDK and was always getting memory
exceptions.

What i did was to download sun's version of the JDK and that seem to have
solved the problem. Did you try to use the SUN's version of the JDK from the
SUN website? It might be usefull to try the SUN's version just to rule out
that the JDK version/release is not the problem.