Another way of getting there is scripting commands to the Tomcat Host
Manager application. You can deploy the new hosts on the fly. It's pretty
straight forward.

The downside to this approach, and probably JMX as well is that it doesn't
update server.xml and you'll have to create a startup routine that generates
a new server.xml with the virtual hosts on the fly.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585