Pid Ster wrote:
On 24 Oct 2009, at 19:29, Pete McNeil <madscient...@microneil.com> wrote:

Pid Ster wrote:

<snip/>

Any chance, just for kicks, you could put the contents of www.someplace.net

 into webapps/ROOT?
I could, but it would be undesirable and shouldn't be necessary.

That's the response I expected, but you're missing the point. Can you make
*any* app work under the actual webapps dir?

We may be able to narrow down the problem by trying an alternative.

If it works in 1 place but not another it would demonstrate that there's a
problem with the 2nd location.

If it doesn't work in either, then the stacktrace detail may help.

Am not advocating one thing over another - just suggesting another way to
examine the problem.
Sorry, I misunderstood (as you predicted). Another sign I was holding on too tight.

I have solved this.

This is what I did:

chgrp -R tomcat6 /home/someplace/www.someplace.com
chmod -R 775 /home/someplace/www.someplace.com

It turns out that it was a permissions problem all along. Somehow adding tomcat6 to the owner's group didn't solve it and the fact that I could ls everything there when logged in as tomcat6 also didn't matter... either that or somewhere along the way I had botched one of those steps.

Thanks very much for the help -- without the extra nudges I would still be chasing my tail.

Best,

_M