OK I just added the appBase attr to a Host in my server.xml.  It did get rid
of the Tomcat install. folders showing up as webapps, but it isnt' doing
exactly what I thought it would do.  Now everything in my appBase shows up
in my Manager instance as belonging to that Host, when what I want there is
only those directories in my appBase that are referenced by Contexts in my
particular Host.

At least the old (appBase-less) method retained the logical mapping defined
in the Host section.

My reading of the Tomcat config docs seemed to indicate that each Host
should have it's own Manager Context defined as opposed to having a single
Manager instance that can span multiple Hosts.  Is this correct?