By nightmare I meant complexity.  Currently all my webapps are located in a
single directory, its flat, it only contains webapps (IE. folders with a
WEB-INF directory).  I have approximately a dozen Hosts defined across 3
domain names (and every intention of adding more).  Some Hosts have single
Contexts, but others have dozens of Contexts defined.  If each Host must
have it's own unique appBase for the Manager to work correctly, then that
entails a 3 level structure for my webserver's document root:
/
--/webapps
-----/host_<MY_HOST>
-------/<MY_CONTEXT>

Which means reworking the build scripts for each and every webapp.  If this
is the only way to have the manager work correctly, then I guess I'll have
to do.  I just don't understand why the server.xml cannot be interpreted as
a logical structure.

If I can define a "/blahblah" Context on a docBase of "foobar-webapp" (a
logical or arbitrary mapping) why can't Contexts be understood as belonging
to certain arbitrary Hosts, regardless of their filepath?