> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: 32-bit service on 64-bit windows?
>
> So, is it true, can one run 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows ?

Yes, you've always been able to run 32-bit programs on x86-64 versions of
Windows.  (The older and deservedly maligned IA64 versions of Windows were not
so compatible.)

> But I thought I remembered needing for that a 64-bit JVM, and I also
> needed a 64-bit tomcatX.exe, but which bitness I associated with the
> platform, not with the JVM.

Nope, 32-bit JVMs work fine on 64-bit Windows.

> it seems that the bitness of the tomcatX.exe has not to do
> with the platform, but everything to do with the chosen JVM,
>  which could be a 32-bit version even on a 64-bit platform.

Which is what I said in the first response.

> So is this tomcatX.exe then always a 32-bit application ?

No, there are 32- and 64-bit versions of tomcatX.exe available; you must choose
the one that matches the mode of the JVM you intend to use.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.