I recently activated SecurityManager and had no previous issues with this.
Yes they do have permissions on that directory.
I am getting many errors regarding this here is a snippet of the stack:
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
(java.io.FilePermission /files/images read)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.File.exists(Unknown Source)
Does my syntax look correct?

I did also try the following:
grant codeBase "file:/files/images/-" {