Continuing to top-post thus :

If you have some systems working and others not, check if all Tomcat's (or rather, their JVMs) start under the same "locale" setting.
This is not a "good" reason, but it is often a reason for such things.

A bit more detail : in java, if you open a text input stream without specifying in which encoding it is, it will default to the "platform" encoding, which in this case is the locale setting of the process which runs the Java JVM which runs tomcat. That applies also to webapps which read posted input, unless you are careful. You will not see this issue with XML input, because XML contains either an explicit charset declaration, or defaults to UTF-8. So the XML parse always knows. But pure text is another matter. There is a lot more to say about these matters, but this will get you started.

Dan Bagley wrote:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the heads up, the server build we are having problem with is

Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.20
Server built:   May 8 2007 10:23:38
Server number:  5.5.20.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     2.6.9-78.0.13.ELsmp
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.5.0_16-b02
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

And yep this is a customer support issue as the later versions of Tomcat have not been approved through there security review process, so they're unable to move onto the later versions.

I'll double check Tomcat 5.5.28, but there still may be issues with the client moving onto this release.

Cheers

Dan