In the failing environment I have the following env settings

LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

the successful env is set to

LANG=en_UK

André Warnier wrote:
Juha Laiho wrote:
Dan Bagley wrote:
The file is identical and static, I post the same file from my windows desktop into a locally running tomcat instance and it works and then post the same file into a tomcat 5.5 instance on Linux and it doesn't work. But then I post again onto Tomcat 6 instance on Linux and it works.

Could there be a difference in file.encoding JVM system property across
the different Tomcat instances? On Linux this might be caused by
different LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variables at time of server
startup; I don't know what in Windows environment determines the
default file.encoding.
I believe the Windows JVMs use the global Windows system language settings, always. Under Unix/Linux however, the "locale" settings of the process starting the JVM are what matters.