We have a legacy application that's been running on the 5.5.X versions for several years. This application manipulates the JNDI context in such a manner that would now be considered "unusual". In a nutshell, it's because the application framework was written concurrent with and prior to development of current standards. The application instantiates the context, creates and binds it's own JDBC pool, etc. with no relevant edits to any of Tomcat's configuration files.

As long as useNaming is set to false for the <Context> in 5.5.X, this works splendidly. In 6.0.20, no matter the setting (true/false), we get the same Exception as when useNaming is set to true in 5.5.X:

   javax.naming.NamingException: Name comp is not bound in this Context

Relevant snippet:

System.setProperty("java.naming.factory.initial", "com.telesoft.naming.BasicInitCtxFactory");
   Context context = new InitialContext();
   context.rebind("java:comp/env/appName",this.appName);

Is there a known/related useNaming bug or have I missed some new configuration nugget?

Many thanks in advance.