On 15/12/2009 15:25, Ingo Gambin wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 15:01 +0000 schrieb Pid:
o right to my problem, wich I am sure is not too unusual, but I
couldn't really find a solution (via google) so far.

my directory structure looks as follows

/opt/document-repository<- mounted nfs-disk of an archiving system

/opt/Tomcat/webapps/myApp.war<- my project deployment file

my webapp for now is just a bunch of servlets which, using
java.io.File..., have no trouble to read the archiving systems
directory
structure listing to list all available archived pdf-files. With
servlets and some CSS I managed to build a little directory tree in
the
browser output and linked the pdf-files to get opened (via adobe
reader
plugin) in an iframe

this basically works if the pdf-files I want to open are located in
the
deployment directory.

but what I want to do is to access the pdf-files of the archiving
disk.
it seems tho while the servlet java code {java.io...} CAN, tomcat
CANNOT
access the pdf-files, which are stored there. And my projects
deployment
directory and the archiving systems mount have to be separated, so I
can
not mount the nfs into the deployment directory nor can I put my
application around the nfs-mount-directory

I stumbled over a hint about adding a

    <Context  docBase="/opt/documents" path="/documents"/>

directive to the web.xml file, but I haven't had any luck with my
experiments so far, but then I realized that this would mean that I
also
have to move my project directory which I can't.

So if there is any possibility to get this done (i am using linux
incase
you haven't guessed already) I would be very glad if anyone could
drop a
few lines to help me out.

What actually happens when you try to access the files?
Does the Tomcat process have sufficient rights to access that
directory?

http://localhost:8080/myApp/PDFClient<- entry servlet and main form
http://localhost:8080/myApp/PDFViewer<- servlet loaded in IFrame

<snip>

So what do your app logs say?
If the viewer servlet isn't working where does it throw it's errors?

Thx for the quick answer!

Ingo