On Jan 20, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: John Tangney [mailto:jo...@jdtangney.com]
Subject: RE: Different apps clustering on the same Tomcat?

We have two machines, each with a Tomcat, forming a cluster. An app
named "gh" runs on each cluster node. We want to add a second app to
one of the Tomcats (call it gh2 ? it's just a clone of gh) that
synchronizes sessions with gh on all of the nodes.

Like Chris, I still don't really understand what you're trying to achieve.

We use a cluster to do seamless deploys. We use Nginx on the front end to direct traffic to one or other of the nodes in the cluster. To deploy, we bring up the new version of the app in a one node, tell Nginx to send traffic to that node, then bring down the other node. Because sessions are propagated, users never notice that one node has been exchanged for another.

We need to add two more nodes that run on Windows (we have platform- specific code, and Nginx sends windows traffic to one of the windows nodes based on URL) but we only have one Windows box. We thought that perhaps we could just run a second instance of the app on the Windows node.

From what you said previously, this does not appear to be possible. So we'll be looking new hardware.

Thanks for all your help!
--johnt