> From: John Tangney [mailto:jo...@jdtangney.com]
> Subject: Re: Different apps clustering on the same Tomcat?
>
> We use a cluster to do seamless deploys. We use Nginx on the front end
> to direct traffic to one or other of the nodes in the cluster. To
> deploy, we bring up the new version of the app in a one node, tell
> Nginx to send traffic to that node, then bring down the other node.
> Because sessions are propagated, users never notice that one node has
> been exchanged for another.

This is fairly typical.

> We need to add two more nodes that run on Windows (we have platform-
> specific code, and Nginx sends windows traffic to one of the windows
> nodes based on URL) but we only have one Windows box. We thought that
> perhaps we could just run a second instance of the app on the Windows
> node.

This is the part that I can't make sense of.  You talk about two more Windows
nodes, which I take to mean two more OS/JVM/Tomcat instances.  Then you talk
about *one* additional instance of your existing webapp running in the same
Tomcat, but using a different name.  Your numbers don't match up.

You can run multiple instances of Tomcat on the same box, and each could have a
copy of the app deployed, and each Tomcat could be a separate node in the
cluster.  You would need to give each Tomcat instance a unique IP address or
set of ports, of course, and make sure you have enough RAM to handle all
instances without provoking paging.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.