In my case sometimes I do need to pass through the SSL to Tomcat, as I'm
running CAS which requires geniune SSL requests.

(I do also have some SSL requests that tomcat doesn't need to see - which I
will send via 8009 as has been suggested).

The SSL pass-through requirement explains why I was attempting to pass through
to :8443 directly - but it sounds like that's the wrong approach.

Should I just use something like..

  ProxyPass /cas https://10.13.0.218:8443/cas ?

Many thanks,

matt.