Thanks for the responses.

In between times I tried the ProxyPass which seems to work fine, but I'd much
rather use plain AJP so I'll try that next.
I've had problems previously getting CAS working where the SSL is handled by
the webserver - however from what everyone has said and having read around the
issue a bit more, it does sound like using AJP ought to work, so long as Apache
is configured to pass through all the relevant SSL and cert. info to tomcat
(presumably so that isSecure() can work, plus I think CAS validates
certificates too).