André Warnier wrote:
Now I am very curious, because I happen to have supplied the media archive management software used by a very large broadcasting organisation, where a similar story happened to the server running ditto software (this was a few years ago). Right after that incident, the organisation in question purchased a second server and a second copy of the software, and asked a partner of mine to design a failover solution. Of course we do not want to name anyone precisely, but it would be funny if this was the same incident.
?

You turned adversity into advantage. Good business lesson. :)

I believe it is not the same company, mine was educational institution, and the incident was more than 10 years ago. Anyway, it is good to know that fellow developers and administrators are facing the same problems, around the globe.

-Ognjen