I recommend you use MAT (http://www.eclipse.org/mat/downloads.php) to
analyze your heap dumps.  It has the ability to load significantly
large heap dumps on machines will limited resources.  I have opened 4G
heap dumps with MAT using a 2G heap.  I'm sure I could have used less,
but I didnt need to.

The other option is to use jvisualvm (it comes with your Java6 JVM) if
the process is still running.